States are implementing a variety of initiatives and policies to assess and support students’ college and career readiness. To help state leaders and policymakers identify trends and learn about innovative approaches to this work, the College and Career Readiness and Success (CCRS) Center has updated the CCRS Center interactive state map with new and streamlined content. The map provides an easy-to-navigate snapshot of state college and career readiness policies, metrics, and initiatives across all states.
College- and Career-Ready Metrics: The data states collect and publically report on students’ college and career readiness, including the following:
- Academic performance and engagement metrics, such as scores on state proficiency exams, dual credit or enrollment, Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate enrollment, and SAT and ACT scores
- Pathway participation and completion metrics, such as industry certifications, career and technical education concentrators, career portfolios, and participation in career and technical student organizations
- Social, emotional, and behavioral metrics, such as attendance rates, dropout rates, and disciplinary infractions
Postsecondary metrics, such as high school graduation rates, postsecondary enrollment, and postsecondary remediation rates
Programs and Supports: Statewide career exploration programs, career plans, or graduation plans for all students
- College- and Career-Ready Definitions: State definitions or descriptions of college and career readiness
Programs and Structures
- Dual enrollment and Early College High School
- Career pathways and programs of study
- Alignment between high school graduation and state college admission requirements
How can I use this tool?
Explore policies and initiatives that states have in place to ensure students graduate high school with the knowledge, skills, and behaviors necessary to succeed in college and the workforce. See which on-track indicators and postsecondary outcome metrics states are using to assess the progress of their students.
Inform yourself and colleagues about how other states are building comprehensive supports within and across secondary and postsecondary systems. Find out how policies have been implemented in different parts of the country and how other states are using data to paint a picture of college and career readiness that is accurate, nuanced, and useful.
Compare policies, initiatives, and metrics across states by content area or region.
Discover trends and innovations in the field, and identify states you’d like to learn from.
Inspire discussion, collaboration, and continuous improvement within your state.
We’d like to hear your thoughts!
- What is an innovative way your state, district, or school is supporting college and career readiness?
- What do you think are some effective and accurate metrics to assess college and career readiness?